Stocks and Other Securities
Making a Gift of Stocks and Other Securities
The WVU Foundation accepts gifts of securities via electronic transfers and physical stock certificates. The donor receives a gift receipt detailing the gift value at the average of the high and low price of the securities on the date the transfer is completed. Stock proceeds are administered according to the donor’s wishes.
The First Step is to advise the WVU Foundation of your intentions to transfer securities. Transfer instructions may change from year to year. The method of transfer will depend on the securities location and whether they are held in electronic or physical form.
- Electronic Stock Transfers – Instruct your bank or broker to contact the WVU Foundation to obtain brokerage account information and transfer instructions. The donor’s broker may require a letter of instruction as authorization for the securities transfer.
- Physical Stock Certificates – The rules of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) require that signature(s) on the stock certificates(s) must be medallion guaranteed (not a notary seal) by the donor’s bank or brokerage company. Contact the WVU Foundation for certificate signature(s), assignment, stock power and delivery instructions.
- Other Securities – Companies impose different transfer requirements for mutual funds, bonds or closely-held stocks. Contact the WVU Foundation for more information regarding these gifts.
Related Forms and Links
- Read more about gifts of appreciated securities
- WVUF Fact Sheet - Sample Letter of Instruction and Sample Stock Power
Securities Contact Information
Attention: Amy Pridemore
Phone 304.284.4064 or 304.284.4065
Toll Free 877.791.4344