WVU Medicine commemorated the placing of the final steel beam on the new nine-story WVU Medicine Children’s Hospital during a virtual topping out ceremony.
Speakers at the topping out ceremony included:
- Albert L. Wright, Jr., president and CEO, WVU Health System
- Amy Bush-Marone, chief operating officer, WVU Medicine Children's
- Gordon Gee, president, WVU; board chair, WVU Health System
- Allison Anderson, director, Spiritual Care and Education
- Dan Meadows, project executive, Yates Construction
- John Schrott, president and lead architect, IKM
The event's media sponsor was WBOY/Nexstar Media Group. Promotional videos for the event are available here.
"It’s an exciting time for WVU Medicine Children’s," Bush-Marone said. "Our new hospital is going to expand our capacity to care for our most precious and vulnerable population – the children of West Virginia and the surrounding region. The dream is becoming a reality."
The new facility, which will open next year, will include:
- A dedicated emergency department
- Operating rooms, cardiac catheterization, interventional radiology, and endoscopy facilities
- A 34-bed Pediatric Acute Care Unit, including six beds available for hematology/oncology
- A 27-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, including six beds available for epilepsy monitoring
- A 50-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- A 30-bed Birthing Center
- A medical office building
- Cancer Institute and Maternal-Fetal Medicine clinics
- Dental and eye procedure rooms
- A Family Resource Center
For more information on WVU Medicine Children's, including ways to support the "Grow Children's" Capital Campaign, visit Childrens.WVUMedicine.org.