Background Image for Header:
WVU Day of Giving Social Media Toolkit
What's a Day of Giving?
A one-day, 24-hour fundraising opportunity designed to bring people together to give toward a cause close to their hearts. Gifts — both large and small — are driven by social media and email communications. These gifts will go toward areas of greatest need or scholarships for the University or in various schools, colleges and departments. It will be WVU's sixth Day of Giving and is a common practice amongst our peer institutions as well. This will take place on March 22, 2023; it will begin at midnight and end at 11:59 p.m. Though all are encouraged to participate, WVU would like to increase the number of first-time donors and young alumni on this day.
For more information on the Day of Giving, visit: FAQs.
Day of Giving Logos
- Download Day of Giving logos for your unit-specific use at this link.
- Note: When making your own Day of Giving graphics with these logos, do not to change or edit the main WVU Day of Giving logo or alter the Flying WV in any way. You may incorporate a smaller unit logo below or in a corner, but it's important the main logo doesn't change so there is consistency throughout the WVU System.
Day of Giving Social Media Graphics
- Download Day of Giving social media toolkit graphics at this link.
Day of Giving Graphics Photoshop File
- Download Day of Giving social media graphics photoshop file at this link.
Challenges and Leaderboard Graphics for March 22
- Download the list of this year's Day of Giving challenges, along with graphics, at this link.
Bonus Dollars for Leaderboards and Challenges
- Download an excel spreadsheet that breaks down total bonus funding for the leaderboards and challenges at this link.
Timeline and Example Social Media Text
Week of Feb. 20 – Online launch via social media, a news release and teaser
video from @WVUFoundation accounts (share!)
Week of Feb. 27 – Social media posts continue
Week of March 6 – Website push (link to it!); Ramp up social media posts
Week of March 13 – Continue to post at the same rate (posts will include more detail about the Day of Giving)
Week of March 20 – Final push on social media
March 22 – Day of Giving begins at midnight. The University's and WVU Foundation's main social media accounts will be leading the conversation (share!)
What’s the theme?
"Day of Giving" has essentially become its own theme. We will, though, center
many of our communications pieces and social media messaging around "Go
above. Go beyond.
What’s the overall fundraising strategy?
There will be many challenge opportunities throughout the day to earn more dollars for your unit or program. Utilizing hourly challenges (and producing healthy competition between units) creates a fast-paced campaign that can build WVU community excitement, attract new supporters and raise more money. At the Day of Giving website, there will be:
- Main Donation Leaderboard
- Participation Leaderboard
- Hourly social-based and donation-based challenges
- Unit-specific challenges (as requested)
What's your role?
On average, someone must see/hear something eight times before they act upon it, so we need to spread the word of WVU’s sixth Day of Giving to as many people as possible. Because this is a University-wide effort to reach current students, alumni, parents and fans, we must use all available communications methods we have. That’s where you come in.
How can you help?
We’d love for you to be active participants in the communications of the WVU Day of Giving. Below you’ll find everything you should need to schedule and/or post on your college/school/department social media accounts prior to the Day of Giving.
Define your ambassadors
There are two different types of ambassadors for Day of Giving:
Social Ambassadors – WVU’s digital leaders, sharing messages and creating excitement about Day of Giving before and during the campaign. Please post about the Day of Giving on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using #WVUDayofGiving.
(volunteers, visiting committee members) –
that receive a personalized donation link from to encourage others to give.
Ambassadors are WVU’s digital leaders, sharing messages and creating excitement
about WVU Day of Giving before and during the campaign. As a registered ambassador,
you will use the personalized link from your Ambassador Dashboard to encourage
others to give. Throughout the day, you will receive insider Ambassador Updates
and be able to track your impact on the campaign in your customized Ambassador
Dashboard as gifts come in.
An ambassador can do the following to be involved with the Day of Giving:
- Make your gift on March 22. If you have already made a gift this year, thank you! By making an additional gift of any size on March 22, you can help us secure essential funding for what you love most about WVU.
- Use the available Ambassador toolkit (available upon registration at http://dayofgiving.wvu.edu). Toolkit provides sample email messages, graphics and sample social media posts.
- We truly appreciate your help spreading awareness within your network using your preferred forms of communication: email, text, phone, and social media such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
As communicators in your respective areas, it'll be important that you ask those you think would be great ambassadors to get involved. Have them sign up at the link above to get involved.
- Kristen Shipp, WVU Foundation Executive Director of Annual Giving and Coordinator for Day of Giving, firstname.lastname@example.org, 304-284-4055
- Garrett Cullen, WVU Foundation Director of Communications and Marketing, email@example.com, 304-284-4010